Posted: Jul 17, 2019
July 2019 marks 20 years since LASIK was approved by the FDA in the United States and Dr. Chu has been performing LASIK since the very beginning. While LASIK has changed a lot over the last 20 years, one thing has stayed the same: LASIK helps people improve their lives through crisp, clear vision! Why do our patients love LASIK? SO MANY REASONS. We want to share the top 20 with you!
1. LASIK improves vision. We are going to kick off this list with the most obvious reason to love LASIK because who doesn’t want to see well?
2. LASIK pays for itself (and then some!). This might seem odd, but LASIK actually pays for itself and can even save you money. Think about what you spent in the last year on your contacts and glasses (contact lens fitting, 12 months’ worth of contact lenses, backup glasses, solution and cases) and multiply that by the number of years you have been paying for your contacts or glasses. Most likely, that number is already higher than your investment would be in LASIK.
3. LASIK is hassle-free. With LASIK, you don’t need to deal with the daily hassle of putting in your contacts or switching from glasses to sunglasses. Ever had that feeling where you just want to fall asleep… but you have to get up and take out our contacts? Yeah, it’s time to be done with that.
4. LASIK is pain-free. Before your procedure, a numbing drop is placed into your eyes to help keep you comfortable.. The most common thing patients say right after the procedure: “Oh, that’s it? We’re done?!” The procedure also goes much faster than you might imagine, with each eye taking less than 10 minutes!
5. LASIK recovery is quick and easy. With little to no down time, many can go back to work the very next day! You can expect your vision to improve even as early as the same day as your procedure, with vision continuing to improve over the course of 2 weeks.
6. LASIK is proven to be safe. LASIK has been around now for 20 years and has been performed over 19 million times. One reason LASIK is so safe is testing. At Chu Vision, we utilize advanced testing techniques to help determine if LASIK is right for your eyes. Click here to learn more about the safety of LASIK!
7. LASIK helps you look your best. Let people see your beautiful face without hiding behind glasses!
8. LASIK helps you feel your best. Look good, feel good right?
9. LASIK helps you enjoy your hobbies. Swimming, running, biking, skiing, knitting, cooking, you name it! Nobody wants to feel held back by their contacts and glasses.
10. LASIK allows you to kick off your day the right way. If you wear glasses or contacts, this story probably sounds familiar: You wake up and you are running late, but you can’t see your clock (or even your watch) to tell what time it is. You fumble around for your glasses or make your way to the bathroom to put in your contacts but trip over a few things along the way. With LASIK, you can start your day off without having to find where you left your glasses last night or take the walk of death to your bathroom.
11. LASIK is permanent. We love that LASIK doesn’t wear off and you won’t have to return to your old glasses or contacts prescription. Many people who had LASIK 20 years ago are still enjoying their clear vision, but your eyes will still age and with that comes some vision changes (like reading glasses).
12. LASIK is better for the environment. Contact lenses, the solution and the bubble packs they come in are not friendly to our environment. You can read more about the environmental cost of contact lenses here. Even glasses, the more eco-friendly choice, aren’t the best option. LASIK eliminates the plastic waste and materials and is a healthier choice for the world we live in.
13. LASIK helps you travel. Back to hobbies for a second because this one is too good not to have its own point on our list! By air, water or land, all travel is easier with LASIK. We even wrote a separate post just on LASIK for travel, which you can check out here.
14. LASIK lowers your risk of eye infections. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, up to 90% of contact lens wearers do not properly follow cleaning and care instructions for their contacts which puts them at a higher risk for developing eye infections that can lead to vision complications and even blindness.
15. LASIK is more comfortable. More comfortable than contacts in your eyes, more comfortable than glasses on your face and definitely more comfortable than not being able to see!
16. LASIK gives you freedom. Freedom from contacts and glasses and the freedom to see and live your life without restrictions.
17. Sunglasses. Pretty much all we need to say.
18. Less risk for allergies. Did you know you can become allergic to your contact lenses? You can also have allergies to different contact lens solutions.
19. HD Vision. Patients say that after LASIK, they feel like their vision is high definition. They even feel like they can see every small detail better than when they were wearing their contacts or glasses.
20. LASIK lets you live your life. Remembering when you need to order more contacts or being careful not to lose or break your glasses is a constant hum in the back of your mind. You might not realize it is always there, but it is just a small nagging thought every day when you wake up and can’t see. Every day when you go to bed and can’t lay down comfortably. Every time you take a shower and can’t read the shampoo bottle. Every time you go for a run, bike ride or swim. And every time you go on a trip. When you have LASIK, one of the weirdest, and most incredible things, is just simply that you no longer have to think about your vision at all. It just is.
Bonus: As you can see there is so much to love about LASIK. But another thing our patients love is that LASIK isn’t the only option. LASIK isn’t for everyone, but the best part about that is at Chu Vision, we offer the most options for vision correction in the entire state of MN (including LASIK). By offering a wide range of vision correction options we are able to match you with the procedure that will best fit your needs.